Sunday, October 24, 2010

The Me I Want to Be: Becoming God's Best Version of You by John Ortberg



I first heard of John Ortberg when one of my teammates when I was overseas let me borrow a book called If You Want to Walk on Water, You've Got to Get out of the Boat. I read it, loved it, and thought, "This Ortberg guy is really good!"

I didn't know then that I would one day attend his church. (That's my disclosure: this book is written by my pastor.)

I must say that Ortberg is actually a lot funnier when he speaks. His jokes don't translate very well to the written.

None of us is who we were created to be...and this book is about how to move closer to who we are created to be, but it's not a try harder, do more kind of book.

1 comment:

Tyler said...

I saw him speak at a conference for pastors in my denomination in January of this year. We got a free copy of the book. Did you find the book was worth the read? I admit I thought the title was self-centered and that turned me off. I have developed something of an aversion to Christian publishing's self-help and me-focused turn in the past several years. Of course, authors rarely pick the titles to their works, so maybe I should cut Ortberg some slack.