Thursday, October 21, 2010

On a Dollar a Day: One Couple’s Unlikely Adventures in Eating in America by Christopher Greenslate and Kerri Leonard



It’s a popular thing these days to try something different for a month or a year and then write a book about it.

In this book, the couple spends one month eating on $1 a day. Then, they spend one month eating on $4.13 a day (which is the food stamp allotment along with limited additional personal spending). Then, they try to eat a healthy diet.

It took me a long time to finish this book. There was something that just seemed gimmicky about it all and the couple (who alternate writing the chapters) didn’t endear themselves to me at all.

The book did make me think some about food, how much I spend on it, and how healthy my diet actually is. But I must admit that after I finished the book and the chapters on healthy eating, I ate Top Ramen for dinner followed by four Girl Scout Thin Mints for dessert.

No comments: