Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Tess of the d'Urbervilles by Thomas Hardy



Sometimes I wander through the Fiction section of the library and pick out books that catch my eye. I checked this one out, and the next day a friend mentioned that it was her favorite book. Plus she said that she loved Thomas Hardy. So I started to read it.

It's about poor, young Tess Durbeyfield who is raped. This haunts her and her relationships for the rest of her life.

It took me a long time to get through this one. I had to read it much slower than usual to understand what was going on because of the words and the language. But I persevered. I read a chapter a day for what seemed like months on end. Actually, I think it was months on end. I had to renew the book a couple of times and then finally return that copy and check out another copy.

No comments: