Monday, July 30, 2012

Little Women by Louisa May Alcott

My first memory of Little Women was as a child when I accidentally spilled a cup of water on my mom's copy that she had as a kid. After that, it was a waterlogged copy of Little Women. Sorry, Mom! Maybe I still needed to use a sippy cup? Or maybe you should have kept your beloved childhood books on a higher shelf? Anyway, it's waterlogged, and this was 20+ years ago, so what can you do.

This was my first time reading Little Women, and I think it's because I was always afraid to touch my mom's copy again after it was waterlogged because it seemed really fragile and crinkly.

Set during the Civil War, Little Women is about the March family, specifically the four daughters, Meg, Beth, Amy, and Jo. They each have different personalities and talents. The story follows them as they grow up and go through all of the fun and disappointment that comes with, well, growing up.

My experience of reading Little Women was just okay. I wasn't that impressed or interested. I think I would had liked it better if I had read it as a young girl. But as you read above, the copy around the house was too crinkly and so I didn't pick it up. Ah well.


2 comments:

Emily Gee-Clark said...

I would call the writing style old-fashioned and preachy. But it did make me think some about the relationship between mothers and daughters.

Emily Gee-Clark said...

And the ending sucks. Let's just say, Jane Austen would have ended it differently.