Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Not for Sale: The Return of the Global Slave Trade--and How We Can Fight It by David Batstone

Human trafficking was mentioned at church one Sunday, and I thought, "I don't know anything about human trafficking."

So I took out the little notebook that I keep in my purse and jotted down: "Research human trafficking."

The next step was to email my friend, Carisa, who I knew had done some research on human trafficking, to ask for book recommendations. She recommended Not For Sale.

This book combines the stories of victims with the activists/"abolitionists" that are working to free these modern-day slaves.

This is the most difficult book I've read so far this year. The narrative style makes it easy to read, but the content is so horrifying that I had to renew this book twice in order to finish it. I just finished it, and it's due tomorrow, nine weeks after I checked it out.

I found myself not wanting to read this book because it is so painful and disturbing that human trafficking is a present-day problem. But instead of leaving the reader feeling helpless and overwhelmed about it all, the book ends with hope and ways to get involved to fight human trafficking.

If you want to know about this topic, I would recommend reading this book. But, I'm telling you, it's not gonna be an easy read! 

Here's the website that tells more about what Not For Sale is working on: http://www.notforsalecampaign.org/

No comments: