Monday, January 14, 2013

Flight Behavior by Barbara Kingsolver


In general, I like Kingsolver's books. I especially enjoyed The Prodigal Summer and Animal, Vegetable, Miracle. However, I bought her last book, The Lacuna, started reading it, and actually returned it to Amazon because I really did not like it at all.

So, it was with some hesitation that I picked up Flight Behavior.

Dellarobia is a farmer's wife who married young because she got pregnant. Now, ten years into the marriage, she feels restless, and is about to embark on an affair. As she hikes the mountain behind her house headed to meet her extramarital someone, she comes across what appears to be a field of fire. This discovery changes the community and it also changes Dellarobia.

This book was not my favorite. I appreciate Kingsolver's background in biology and the detail and knowledge that comes out of this book about global warming. I liked a few of the characters. But mostly the book felt flat to me. There were a couple of twists, but they didn't really make any emotional impact. Something was missing.

No comments: