Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Drop Dead Healthy: One Man's Humble Quest for Bodily Perfection by A.J. Jacobs

I've never really listened to the radio or audio books that much. However, this summer I spent a bunch of time traveling around by train and loaded up on pod casts to prepare myself for the next city/country I was headed to. Listening to lectures on the city's art, culture, and history was really fun and increased my excitement about exploring the next city. I discovered that I actually absorbed quite a bit of information by listening. This inspired me to start listening to audio books.

This is the first audio book that I've listened to. I've read Jacobs' other books before, and liked The Year of Living Biblically much more than The Know-It-All. I also wanted to listen to the book while I exercised and figured that it would be motivational to listen to a book about exercising while exercising. And, it really was! I looked forward to exercising so that I could listen to more of his book.

Jacobs' tackled spirituality and intellect in his other books, so in this one, he takes two years to try and become the healthiest human ever. He combines research with practice and tries out diets, different types of exercise, and other healthy habits. His efforts really paid off too...at the end of the two years, he's lost weight and has some very impressive cholesterol numbers.

He also writes about what's going on with his own life at the time, so the book is not just tale of one diet after another.

This is a very funny book. It is also very informative. I even adopted some of his healthy practices into my own life. This book is also quite touching. He shares about his life and I actually really cared.

Recommended!

Note: I'm going to continue listening to audio books while I exercise, and will write about them here, but will always note if it was an audio book.

No comments: