Monday, May 6, 2013

Contagious: Why Things Catch On by Jonah Berger

Berger writes about why certain stories, videos, products, and ideas spread and why others don't. He describes six principles that cause things to spread: Social Currency (does it make us look smart? cool?), Triggers (are we prompted to think about a product?), Emotion (do we care?), Public (can people see us using this product?), Practical Value (is it useful?), and Stories (what's the narrative around this idea or product?).

I listened to this book as an audio book. I've never read a book on marketing, so this was my first introduction to how to think about spreading the word about an idea or product. I thought more about the influence of word of mouth recommendations.

Overall, I liked listening to this audio book. It was fun and educational.

No comments: