Saturday, July 20, 2013

The Last Camellia by Sarah Jio

I've read all of Sarah Jio's previous books, and had pretty much the same experience with them. I couldn't put them down and then, at the end, thought that the story was pretty cheesy, formulaic, predictable, and tied up too neatly. So why do I keep going back??


I picked up The Last Camellia, and pretty much had the same experience as before. This one was slightly better in terms of storyline, but not much. Again, everything was tied up much too nicely at the end. But still, I spent the better part of the 4th of July reading this book and toting it around with me.

The story centers around the rare and coveted Middlebury Pink camellia plant. The story takes place on an estate in England, but the two inter-connected story lines alternate between pre-WWII and present day. Mystery, murder, and secrets abound.

I suppose I could mildly recommend this book if you're looking for an easy-to-read, light, predictable summer book. It would be perfect for an afternoon by the pool.

No comments: