Monday, July 15, 2013

The Stone Diaries by Carol Shields

This is one of the weirdest books I've ever read. It's about Daisy Stonewall Goodwill and told from her perspective, but somehow it's about everyone else except her. Daisy drifts about life and never really becomes a person of any substance which is perhaps why this book seemed to be about anything but her.

Readable, well-written, and meaty.

An extra note about my reading experience: I checked it out from the library and the front page had a red stamp on it: DAMAGE NOTED. Below the stamp the damage was specified: Writing, markings. Uh oh, I'm not a fan of writing in books, especially library books! The brilliant reader before me had read the book and circled every word related to "stone." Sometimes they even wrote: "Stone! A reference to the title???" If you're gonna write in library books (which you should NOT), at least write something smart! Thanks! =D

No comments: