Monday, March 10, 2014

Sensible Shoes: A Story About the Spiritual Journey by Sharon Garlough Brown



I love it when people give me books as presents! I am so used to reading library books that are sometimes stained and smelly that it is a very special treat to read a brand-new book. A friend gave me Sensible Shoes as a birthday present, and for that, I am grateful. What a treat to read not just a new book, but a book with a very tactile-ly pleasant cover!

Sensible Shoes follows four women from very different places in life on their spiritual journeys. This is a great introduction to various spiritual exercises, but as a fiction book, it doesn't work that well. The author uses flashbacks, old letters, journal entries, handouts, and italics to try and fill in the story but it just ends up being a bit clumsy and awkward. Also, the four women never really came alive for me.

Although I finished the book, I can't recommend it. But it was certainly nice to read a new book.

No comments: