Monday, March 17, 2014

Stitches: A Handbook on Meaning, Hope and Repair by Anne Lamott

"As far as I can recall, none of the adults in my life ever once remembered to say, 'Some people have a thick skin and you don't. Your heart is really open and that is going to cause pain, but that is an appropriate response to this world. The cost is high, but the blessing of being compassionate is beyond your wildest dreams. However, you're not going to feel that a lot in seventh grade. Just hang on.'" --Anne Lamott
I previously listened to Stitches as an audio book. I liked it better when I read it. The author read the book on the audio CD and it sounded like Eeyore reading a book. Kinda down and depressing. So reading the book was better.

Lamott tries a bit too hard to be funny so some of the humor comes across as forced. But overall, I like the questions that this book addresses: how do we find hope and kindness in loss? How do we keep going on when there is suffering within us and around us? This book offers some thoughts and some hope.

No comments: