Thursday, May 1, 2014

The Marriage Act: The Risk I Took to Keep My Best Friend in America, and What it Taught Us About Love by Liza Monroy

When Liza's high school sweetheart boyfriend breaks off their engagement, she marries her best friend, Emir, who is facing deportation. They agree to marry, live together, and still date their respective boyfriends.

After Emir gets his green card, Liza does marry for "love," but she finds out that her "fake" marriage to Emir actually had more respect, love, and support than this "real" marriage.

I almost stopped reading around the 100 page mark, because I didn't know where this story could go. I am very glad that I kept reading. There is more depth and complexity to Liza's story than first meets the eye. She really does learn about love and what a supportive marriage requires and looks like. I ended up caring about both her and Emir. I think they would be neat people to have coffee with.

No comments: