Monday, September 28, 2015

Modern Romance by Aziz Ansari and Eric Klinenberg

Over ten years ago, as I was preparing to move back to the United States from Asia, I was talking about all of my fears of moving with my friend, David. David has a way of seeing right to the core of things which can be helpful and irritating at the same time. He listened to me and commented, "You're afraid of entering the dating scene again!!!" Yes, he was exactly right. If only I had had a book like Modern Romance to survey the current dating scene for me. Sigh.

Well, fast forward about ten years, and here we are. Modern Romance does provide a thorough and entertaining review of the state of dating today. It is amusing, insightful, and sometimes crude (warning to my younger readers!). Most importantly, Modern Romance reminds us that behind each of those Tinder pictures that you so quickly swipe there is a real human. I appreciate that Ansari encourages readers to not write off someone so quickly, but to give them a chance (meaning: at least four or five dates) before you move on to the next first date.

No comments: