Tuesday, September 1, 2015

Very Good Lives: The Fringe Benefits of Failure and the Importance of Imagination by J.K. Rowling

"Ultimately we all have to decide for ourselves what constitutes failure, but the world is quite eager to give you a set of criteria, if you let it." --J.K. Rowling



The above is from J.K. Rowling's commencement address to the Harvard graduating class of 2008. She goes on to say, "So given a Time-Turner, I would tell my twenty-one-year-old self that personal happiness lies in knowing that life is not a checklist of acquisition or achievement. Your qualifications, your CV, are not your life, though you will meet many people of my age and older who comfuse the two."

A short, sweet, and powerful speech. You can read it in minutes, but think about it for a bit after. I think my life would improve if I listened to a commencement speech every Monday.

No comments: