Monday, December 5, 2016

Table Manners: How to Behave in the Modern World and Why Bother by Jeremiah Tower

"The most important thing to know about manners is that they're not about you. The more you think about those around you and the less you think about yourself, the more likely you are to behave well. And the better you behave, the more likely you are to be invited back" (p. 137).

It has happened more than once now that I've been at dinner parties where everyone (except me - no data on my phone, whoops!) is on their phone. I've looked around, wondering if anyone wanted to have a conversation, but no, so I just focused on eating my food.

Tower addresses cell phone and social media use in the chapter on Techiquette. Thank you! I am now wondering if I should use a basket at the front door to collect cell phones when friends come over. Think they will comply?

Tower also discusses all sorts of manners when it comes to hosting, being a guest, and eating out at a restaurant.

If you need a refresher course on manners, this is a sweet, little book that will get you up to speed.

No comments: