Monday, January 2, 2017

Ghosts by Raina Telgemeier

Happy new year!

I am looking forward to the books that I will read this year. I've always loved reading. As a kid, I would curl up in my parents' bed with a sleeve of Saltines and read for hours. Why in their bed? I didn't want cracker crumbs in MY bed!?

But there were periods of my life when I actually didn't read very much. There was a two-year stretch when I lived in Asia and couldn't concentrate enough on reading for fun. I was just trying to survive and make sure I had enough food to eat and keep my place clean and functional. And then, during grad school, there was just way too much required reading and writing that I didn't really have the time to read for fun.

So I am still enjoying post-school reading for fun. And that's when I started this blog!

Onto the first book of 2017! Yay, it's another graphic novel by Raina Telgemeier. I'm a fan of Telgemeier's graphic novels, especially Smile.

Ghosts is about a family relocating to a northern California town because the youngest sister has cystic fibrosis and the sea air will help her. But Catrina, the older sister, had no idea that there are ghosts in this town!

I appreciate that Telgemeier uses her work and art to educate readers about culture and health issues. So neat.

No comments: