Tuesday, August 14, 2007

The Age of Innocence by Edith Wharton

To choose between something safe and conventional vs. something new and risky. To live a life that looks satisfying on the outside, but to be slowly dying on the inside because your heart is being denied what would give it life. Living without regrets, listening to your heart, pursuing what you know awakens you and makes you feel alive.

These are the themes in this book about Newland Archer and the choice he makes about who to marry. This novel is engrossing and heartbreaking. It is also beautifully written. Wow. It's been awhile since I've read a book that has touched my heart so deeply. After I finished reading it, I sat in silence for a few minutes just to think about how the ending had moved me.




1 comment:

Emily Gee-Clark said...

I am a big Edith Wharton fan and am consistently amazed at how her stories were written in another era but are still relevant to modern day struggles with dating and relationships.