Saturday, August 25, 2007

Love, Stargirl by Jerry Spinelli

I love love love Stargirl, which is why I asked Boomer to read it. When I saw the sequel, Love, Stargirl, at the store, I was so excited that I immediately bought it (hardcover! which, for those of you who know how big of a library fan I am, is rare...the only other hardcover books I've bought in recent years are the Harry Potters).

In the first book, we learn about Stargirl through the thoughts of Leo Borlock, the narrator. Stargirl remains as mysterious and eccentric to us as she is to Leo. The sequel takes place fairly recently after the first book ends and is written from the viewpoint of Stargirl.

Somehow, it just didn't work. The magic and charm of Stargirl is gone. She's still intelligent, different, and compassionate, but I was not fascinated by her. The storyline did not seem as tight and cohesive as Stargirl, and most of the supporting characters were actually kind of annoying. So, I've decided that I will recommend that Boomer NOT read this book (as he has already asked to read it). The first book, Stargirl, can stand alone. So read that one and forget about this one.

No comments: