Friday, August 3, 2007

Leaving Church: A Memoir of Faith


This is a beautiful book written by Barbara Brown Taylor. She recounts her time working as a pastor, first at a large church in Atlanta, and then at a small rural church in Clarksville, Georgia. She eventually experiences burn out and leaves her post at the church to teach at a university. As she does this, she struggles with her identity: she is no longer a "professional holy person," but rather someone living life in the community.

I really liked this book because Taylor is so honest about her feelings, questions about God, and what spirituality looks like. Her writing is eloquent and I stopped many times to jot down quotes in my journal. Reading her story is inspiring. It makes me want to strive less and rest more, to enjoy being human and alive, and to expand my idea of where and how I can find God.

3 comments:

Sandra said...

This looks like a book I could love!
You read so much!! :)

Elaine said...

Yes, I thought of you while reading this book! Yah, I'm reading a lot these days to make up for all of the fun reading I don't do/don't make time for during the school year.

Sandra said...

I'd love to get together for coffee! I may have to bring Erin though.