Thursday, August 23, 2007

Stargirl by Jerry Spinelli (A Guest Review)

Guest blogger: Boomer
Boomer is recently rediscovering the joy of reading and is honored to be a guest blogger on El Estante Para Libros.

Stargirl by Jerry Spinelli proved to be singularly inventive and cleverly crafted. Written primarily as a social commentary on the often cruel labyrinth of the high school social scene, the author also writes a heartfelt story about coming of age and self-discovery. By far the best part of the book is the titular character herself. As an enigmatic mix of wholesome honesty and clever creativity, Susan “Stargirl” Caraway carries the story and is the hook that invites the reader to explore just how foolish we all remember being in high school. This book was a fun, lighthearted read, but it still carried enough depth to make me think and tune into my heart. I would heartily recommend it.

2 comments:

Ruth said...

Someone in my church recommended this to me long ago. I thought it was a strange recommendation coming from a middle-aged white guy, and the book could only be found in the "young adult" section (it looked like a girlie teen section too). But if CLEMENT thinks its good, boy, maybe there's something to it. And I didn't even know he reads. Good job, Elaine. =)

Elaine said...
This comment has been removed by the author.