Thursday, March 12, 2009

Old School by Tobias Wolff

I read this book in an effort to put more literature into my reading diet. It's from the Big Read list.

The story takes place in the 1960s at an all-boy boarding school where creative writing is the cool thing to do. Every so often, famous writers (Robert Frost, Ernest Hemingway, Ayn Rand) visit the school and there is a contest to win a private meeting with the author. The boys write like crazy and submit stories to try and win this coveted prize. The visiting writer determines which boy wins.

This book is beautifully written and it looks at honesty, deception, and consequences. I whizzed through it even though I probably should have been studying for my final exams. I guess I took a break from school by reading about school.

No comments: