Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Still: Notes on a Mid-Faith Crisis by Lauren Winner


This is another memoir by the author of Girl Meets God. In that book, she writes about her conversion from Judaism to Christianity. When I reviewed Girl Meets God two years ago, I noted that the author's pretentiousness was a turn-off. Her pretentiousness still remains a turn-off in her latest book.

Winner wrote this book after divorcing her husband of five years. She writes about the aftermath, but not in detail at all, so it's kinda hard to know what's going on, or what she might be healing from.

The book is made up of random "chapters" (although they are more like brief reflections, some only half a page long). The topics ramble around. Winner writes that "structuring this book was hard," and boy, does that show. I had no idea how the chapters or sections were organized. I stopped trying to figure out how they all related, and just read each one as a stand-alone reflection.

I'm not really sure if the title is accurate...was this about a "mid-faith crisis"? Not sure, as I said, I didn't figure out how the whole book worked together.

If you read this, I recommend just looking at it as a collection of journal entries. Then, it might make more sense.

I can't strongly recommend this book. I'll mildy recommend it. Even though it was disorganized and confusing, there were some tidbits of wisdom and some stories that did touch my heart.

No comments: