Friday, June 28, 2013

The Favored Daughter: One Woman's Fight to Lead Afghanistan into the Future by Fawzia Koofi


I am joining a neighborhood book club. However, in the last email, the leader wrote that the reading was optional. =D From what I've heard, it's more of a social club. It'll be nice to know more people in my neighborhood.

This is the book assigned to the first meeting that I will attend. It was very s....l.....o.....w going, and I even thought about not finishing it and just going to the meeting anyway. That went against all of who I am. I read every single assigned page in graduate school. Every single page. I am a reader, and I am an excellent student. So I plugged away, and I did finish the book. It picked up, but it took quite awhile for it to do so.

Fawzia Koofi was born and raised in Afghanistan, and she's considered one of the future Afghan presidential hopefuls. Her story gave me an inside look into life under Taliban rule and what everyday life looks like there. It's eye-opening to say the least. Some parts made me cringe. This is an uncomfortable book to read, but informative.

No comments: