Thursday, December 31, 2015

Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead by Tom Stoppard



Finally, onto the final book for the Modern Mrs. Darcy Challenge! This category was “a book you should have read in high school.” I checked out some high school reading lists online and yes, there are many, many books that are typically assigned in high school that I have not yet read. However, I decided to go with a play that Boomer and my friend, Huy, read in high school and they both recommended it.


Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are characters from Hamlet, so this play follows them along the same timeline as Hamlet. It helped to re-read some of Hamlet while I was reading this play so I could remember what was going on.

Easy-to-read and funny, this play adds another dimension to the reading of Hamlet. I can see why Boomer was assigned this play right after his English class finished Hamlet.

With my completion of Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead, I’ve completed thee 2015 Modern Mrs. Darcy Reading Challenge. Thank you to Modern Mrs. Darcy for putting this Challenge together for us. It definitely challenged me to read out of my comfort zone and to pick up books I wouldn’t have otherwise. Doing this Challenge also started some great conversations with my friends and family as I asked them for recommendations for each of the categories. And, I had never asked my mom which book she loved until I had to ask her to complete the “a book your mom loves” category. I had no idea  that my mom loved Great Expectations and The Grapes of Wrath. I hope that Modern Mrs. Darcy has a 2016 Challenge for us!
 


No comments: