Tuesday, December 15, 2015

The Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck

The end of 2015 is coming fast! And I still have three books to read for Modern Mrs. Darcy's Reading Challenge. I am happy to mark this one off my list. It falls under the category of "a book your mom loves."

I called my mom and asked her what her favorite book was and she said, "Great Expectations and The Grapes of Wrath."

I tried Great Expectations and got stuck, so I moved onto The Grapes of Wrath.

Note: This Reading Challenge starts some interesting conversations. When I mentioned that I was reading The Grapes of Wrath, THREE different people said, "Oh, the ending is weird." One friend said, "Oh, the ending is so weird, I don't even remember what it was, but it's really weird."

Then there's my neighbor who read it FIVE times in a row in school because her teacher didn't believe that she had already finished it and wouldn't let her read anything else! (Hi, Rebecca!)

Okay, so I moved very slowly through this book. It's very sad and bad things happen one after another. I was wondering how the ending could be so weird until I finished. AND THE ENDING IS SOOOO WEIRD. Probably the weirdest ending I've ever read.

Ok, Mom, I read your favorite book, and the ending is REALLY weird.

No comments: