Tuesday, December 29, 2015

The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde



One of my favorite movies is (500) Days of Summer starring Joseph Gordon-Levitt and Zooey Deschanel. I’ve watched this movie many times and discussed it again and again with Boomer. It is a heartbreaking and painful movie to watch and yet, I still watch it.

In one of the later scenes, Summer, the Zooey Deschanel character, says something like, “I was sitting in a deli reading Dorian Gray.” Ever since I’ve heard that line, I’ve been meaning to read The Picture of Dorian Gray. So for the 2015 Modern Mrs. Darcy Reading Challenge category of “a book you’ve been meaning to read,” this was the perfect choice.


Dorian Gray is a handsome and dashing young man who sells his soul in order to stay young forever. As he stays youthful and everyone else around him ages, an oil painting of him also ages and depicts his moral decline.

This was a spooky and strange book. I can see why it attracted interest to Summer in 500 Days of Summer as she sat reading it in a deli.

No comments: