Tuesday, December 22, 2015

The Diary of a Young Girl by Anne Frank

When I was in Amsterdam back in 2006, I visited the annex where Anne Frank and her family lived for two years. However, I had not read her diary, and now that I have read her diary, I really wish that I had read it before I saw the house where she wrote it.



I read The Diary of a Young Girl for the category of "a book 'everyone' has read but you" because it does seem to be a book that a lot of folks have read and a book that's assigned in school. My sister read it in both junior high and high school.

This book was a lot of things. Funny, intimate, and sad. Anne Frank captures the angst and curiosity of the a teenage girl albeit a teenage girl under very different and difficult circumstances. Her writing is so wonderful as are her ideas and her humor. Reading about her experience during World War II while also knowing that she doesn't survive was a strange, sad experience. I'm glad I finally read this book.

No comments: