Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Catalyst by Laurie Halse Anderson

High school senior Kate Malone is a straight-A student. She might look like the perfect student from the outside, but inside she is a ball of nerves. She's waiting to hear from MIT, the only school that she applied to. Her father is a pastor and her mom died years ago (she tries to not remember).  Disaster strikes close in the neighborhood and Kate is delegated responsibility that she does not want.

This is a story about mess and perfection, and what things look like on the outside vs. the inside, and how we never know the full story (or even close) about anyone.

This is the fourth Laurie Halse Anderson book I've reviewed in the last month or so, and it does not rank at the top of my list although it was a good read. If you were to read one of her books, I'd recommend Wintergirls.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Elaine. I have never commented before but I am thankful for your blog because it has helped me find some great reads, like the Night Circus :) Anyway, I wanted to recommend one to you that I just read and really loved called The Snow Child by Eowyn Ivey. I hope you can check it out.
Karen

Elaine said...

Hi Karen! Thank you for the recommendation! I put myself on the waiting list for it at my library. Thanks again!