Saturday, April 28, 2012

The Snow Child by Eowyn Ivey

This was recommended to me by Karen, a faithful reader of this blog. Thanks, Karen!

To all my readers: Please keep sending me your book recommendations. I do check out what you suggest!

The Snow Child is sent in 1920s Alaska. Jack and Mabel, a childless couple (not by choice) from the East Coast, move to Alaska to farm. It's an isolating and challenging place to live, and they are both weighed down with it all.

During the first snowfall, they build a little snow child, complete with red mittens and a red scarf. The next morning, the snow child is gone, along with the scarf and mittens. And then, Jack and Mabel begin to see glimpses of a young, blonde-haired girl running through the woods with a red fox by her side. Who is this girl? Is it just their imaginations?

Delightful, well-written, and enchanting. One of my favorites so far this year. I'm thinking of buying it for a friend's graduation gift now that she'll have time to read for fun.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Elaine,

I'm so glad you liked it!

I have a few more suggestions :) Confessions of a Prairie Bitch by Alison Arngrim. She played Nellie on Little House on the Prairie. If you watched the show growing up you will probably like the book. She gives lots of inside information about the show and the struggles of her own life. I really liked it.

Another memoir type book I liked is You'll Never Nanny in this town again by Suzanne Hansen. She was the nanny to a few different Hollywood celebs in the 90s. It was interesting to see inside homes of the super rich and how they treated their help.

A novel I recently read that was disturbing but so well written and intriguing I couldn't put down is We Need To Talk About Kevin by Lionel Shriver. It is not the kind of book I would normally read but it was very good. Its not a happy book, though by any means.

And finally two more novels I really enjoyed that were recommended by another blogger: Good to a Fault by Marina Endicott and State of Wonder by Ann Patchett. I love to find books like these that I just don't want to put down. I hope some of these suggestions give you some good reading :)

Karen

Elaine said...

Hi Karen,

Thanks for all of the book suggestions! I just finished Good to a Fault, and will post a review of that one shortly. I also just started We Need to Talk About Kevin.

Thanks again!
Elaine

Anonymous said...

I've gotten so many good suggestions from your blog...and since I live out of the country and can't really check out books from the library, you've helped me screen some that I shouldn't be downloading to my kindle, thus saving me some money. Thanks. I hope you like "Kevin", for me it was a challenging read in a good way. I like books I have to really think about.
Karen