Monday, August 13, 2012

Eat, Walk, Write: An American Senior's Year of Adventure in Paris and Tuscany by Boyd Lemon

At 70-years-old, the author decided to move from the United States to Paris for two years. He writes about his initial adjustment, the difficulties he faced while learning French, the food he ate, and side trips he took.

I liked the author's honesty about how difficult it was to adjust to life in France. He was also honest about how lonely he was for awhile.

There were a couple of drawbacks to this book. First, there were many misspellings which were very distracting and unprofessional. Did he have an editor? Secondly, there was a lack of transition words and sentences, so the paragraphs seemed to jump around from topic to topic. This was jarring.

I can't recommend this book for the above reasons.

I have to add that it was an interesting book to read though because I read it on a flight from Paris to the United States. Reading about a place after having just spent some time there is a very fun experience. The names of places and neighborhoods and the language were still fresh in my head, so it gave me some good closure. I may make that a travel policy now - to read a book about the place while traveling there to build up anticipation, and to read a book about the place while returning. It seems appropriate.

No comments: