Monday, August 6, 2012

The House of Mirth by Edith Wharton

After enjoying Edith Wharton's The Age of Innocence so much, I thought that I might really like The House of Mirth. Boy, was I wrong!

Lily Bart has no money, but she is plenty pretty and very smart. It would be easy for her to marry for money (and she needs money because hers is running out, and she's in debt), but she won't, or doesn't.

Throughout the entire novel, I never really liked Lily Bart. Or any of the characters in the book as well. Maybe I'm missing something brilliant about this book, but reading it for pleasure was no pleasure at all.

If you want to read some Edith Wharton, go for The Age of Innocence, and skip this one.

1 comment:

Emily Gee-Clark said...

Haha. I liked House of Mirth. I've read it twice! But I read it when I was single and surrounded by nerdy single men. I related to Lily Barth. Marriage...no thanks!