Friday, August 31, 2012

Paris in Love by Eloisa James

Eloisa James and her husband both took sabbaticals during 2009 and moved their family to Paris for a year. She posted about her experience on Facebook, and then expanded those posts into this book. So each chapter consists of very short paragraphs about different things she's observes about French culture and her family's adjustment. It took me a little bit to get used to the format, but I ended up liking it. There are several longer essays interspersed throughout which throw off the rhythm of the writing, but I like her writing, so I tolerated it.

Overall, this is a funny, and thoughtful book. Her daughter is especially funny. This book made me want to go to Paris even though I was just there in July. Sigh. I will have to return.

No comments: