Monday, September 10, 2012

A Guest Review- An Economist Gets Lunch: New Rules for Everyday Foodies by Tyler Cowen


I read the first 100 pages of this book and then lost interest. Then, Boomer picked it up and actually read the whole book. So here is Boomer and his guest post.

By way of introduction, Boomer is the most non-picky eater I have ever met. He also finishes every book that he starts.

Boomer says:
Insightful in an economist sort of way, but judgmental and snobby. This book takes a look at food and how to get the best value (the best meal for the least money).

I like how the author thinks in terms of getting off the beaten path to find amazing meals and great deals. As someone interested in solving world hunger, I was intrigued by his insights into how agri-business and large scale food production has affected eating and hunger issues around the world.

On the flip side, I found the chapters about good/bad ethnic foods and choosing stateside ethnic restaurants to be highly judgmental. As a non-Caucasian, it's insulting to have my culture's cuisine judged by a Caucasian economist and self-proclaimed foodie. I don't care how many times you've been to a country. 20+ visits neither makes you a culinary authority nor gives you the right to judge my culture's cuisine. I would love to learn more about the macroeconomics of food, but please keep your judgmental attitude to yourself.

No comments: