Monday, September 10, 2012

Wife 22 by Melanie Gideon

Sometimes when I read a book or watch a movie, there is an ending that I totally did not expect. The twist unfolds in the last pages or minutes and things suddenly make sense. I'm left saying, "Ohhhh!" It's fun! However, sometimes when I'm about 2/3 through a book or a movie, I figure out how the story is going to end. Then, it's just downhill from there. There might be a little twist, but usually it's just straightforward.

Unfortunately, this was a book in which I figured out the twist about halfway through. It wasn't even an original twist. If you've seen the movie You've Got Mail, you've already seen the basic concept.

The first half was pretty readable and interesting, and then it became a bit unbelievable. Am I really supposed to believe that an inattentive and absent husband in real life could really be relational, caring, and thoughtful to his wife when he's online?

Solid writing, but with holes in the concept. Skip!

No comments: