Thursday, September 6, 2012

On the Outside Looking Indian: How My Second Childhood Changed My Life by Rupinder Gill

As a daughter of immigrant parents from India, Rupinder lived a sheltered life while growing up in Canada. Her parents did not enroll her in extracurricular activities or encourage her to socialize.

At age 30, she realizes how much she missed out on as a child, and decides to experience those things she missed out on.

Her list:
1. Learn to swim.
2. Take lessons.
3. Visit Disney World.
4. Go to camp.
5. Have a pet.

I loved this book. Rupinder is a very likable person. She's someone who seems really friendly, down-to-earth, and caring. I'd like to have coffee with her.

She also ends up quitting her job. I love it when people quit their jobs because they want something more (I know that this isn't always possible because of financial reasons, etc.). Rupinder really challenges herself and questions rules that she's lived by her life. She identifies what's been holding her back and moves toward experiencing more freedom.

Plus, she is really funny.

This has to rank up as one of my most favorite books of the year so far!

No comments: