Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Confessions of a Scary Mommy: An Honest and Irreverent Look at Motherhood - The Good, The Bad, and the Scary byJill Smokler

Smokler took some time off from working when her kids were young. She started a blog about motherhood, and found a community out there with other blogger moms who shared about the ups and downs of motherhood. She added an anonymous "Confessional" sections and moms responded with real, honest, sad, and funny confessions.

This book has short chapters on different aspects of motherhood (pregnancy, birth, vacations, sick children), and each chapter begins with a bunch of "confessions" from her blog.

Some confessions:
"I like my children best when they are newborns. I like them less every year after."
"If I'd known the kind of father my husband would be, I never would have married him."
"I swear at my kids in German and they have no idea what I'm saying."
"I have triplets, so why am I lonely?"

All I have to say about this book is: if you're thinking about having kids, you probably shouldn't read this book. If you already have kids, you might be either totally amused and relate to Smokler, or maybe you'll think she's a bad, bad mom. Or maybe both. I thought it was funny.

No comments: