Thursday, December 27, 2012

Love & War: Find Your Way to Something Beautiful in Your Marriage by John and Stasi Eldredge

The Sacred Romance and The Journey of Desire were two of the most important books I read in my 20s, and they both really prompted me to think about life and God in very different ways. Captivating was a very healing book for me as well.

Then, John's books became more formulaic and sloppy. This book falls under the formulaic and sloppy category.

The most helpful list that is included in this book is the list of "top three things that would most help your marriage":
1. Find life in God.
2. Deal with your brokenness.
3. Learn to shut down the spiritual attacks that come against your marriage.

But there were very judgmental parts of the book as well. For example, they write: "I think of friends who have decided not to marry, and of those who are married but have decided not to have children. They are fundamentally selfish. There is just no other description for it." I think that it's very possible to have kids and still be quite selfish, and it's also very possible to be single and childless and to be generous and caring of others. It's careless and judgmental comments like this one that make me think that the Eldredges are getting sloppy.

I don't want to spend too much time writing about this book because it was just mediocre, and I'm eager to return it to the library. So my final word about this book is: SKIP!

No comments: