Friday, January 2, 2015

Gray Mountain by John Grisham

Happy new year! I hope that you are looking forward to what 2015 has in store for you, and that you have some good books waiting for you as well!

The last couple of weeks were unexpectedly light on the work front, and Boomer didn't have any vacation days left, so that left me with plenty of time to do whatever! So, I read.

So onto what I read...
Yes, sometimes I read John Grisham. A John Grisham book usually proves to be good vacation reading for me. It's fast and draws me in. In the last several years, he's written other books that aren't focused on the legal profession, and those were surprisingly okay. I read Grisham's latest, Gray Mountain, over Christmas break, and although slow in some parts, it did turn out to be satisfying vacation reading.

The story is about Samantha who starts her legal career with a big Wall Street law firm, and then the recession hits. She is given a year of furlough in which she can volunteer with a small non-profit and then possibly return to her firm to see if there's still a job for her. She ends up in Brady, Virginia in Appalachia working for a very small legal aid clinic. It's a rough transition from NYC to small-town Virginia, but she starts to warm up to the people and their hardships.

No comments: