Monday, September 30, 2013

Follow-Up

Here's some conclusions to questions, ideas, and projects written about in the past:

1. Cuckoo's Calling by Robert Galbraith (aka J.K. Rowling)
I did not finish it! I read 150 pages (out of 455) and found the plot to be uninspired and boring. I could not read any further. However, Boomer picked it up after I tossed it aside and proceeded to read it all the way through. Now, after having read The Casual Vacancy and half of Cuckoo's Calling, I am feeling discouraged about Rowling's move into books for adults.

2. The Summer of the Re-Read
Well, the summer didn't hold much re-reading for me, but September did. I re-read a favorite, Because of Winn-Dixie by Kate DiCamillo. In addition, I re-read The Tiger Rising, also by Kate DiCamillo (which was as disappointing as it was the first time around).

If you're newer to this blog, please read my post about asking the librarian if the dog dies at the end of Because of Winn-Dixie. It contains some valuable lessons about 1) making sure the animal doesn't die at the end of the book and 2) how helpful librarians are!

Also, in anticipation of Jhumpa Lahiri's newest book, The Lowland, I re-read her collection of short stories, Unaccustomed Earth. I am also in the middle of re-reading Interpreter of Maladies, another collection of short stories by Lahiri for which she received the Pulitzer Prize in 2000.

No comments: